Thursday 9 May 2013

Nigerian Woman “Kate Anolue’ Elected As Mayor In United Kingdom

Kate

Kate Anolue from Nanka in Orumba South Local Government Area of  Anambra State is the Mayor of Enfield Borough in the United Kingdom.  A widow and mother of four, the midwife turned lawyer, during her visit to Nigeria, spoke with Yejide Gbenga-Ogundare of the Nigerian Tribune on politics, her challenges and marriage.

Read the excerpts of her interview below


From your observation,  do you think  we have enough participation of women in  Nigerian politics?
I am disappointed at the level of women’s  participation in  Nigerian  politics. Nigerian  women have a lot to contribute to the  development of the nation, but unfortunately,  their presence is  not felt.  It’s sad  at the way they allow their potentials to waste away.

What  in your view is responsible for this?
Politics in Nigeria favours  men. It’s quite different from what holds in the United Kingdom. There, politics  is hinged on merit. Here in Nigeria, there is no equality between the male and female.  I believe everyone should be given an equal footing. We went to the same school and  do possess the same certificates. Nigerian women  need to speak  out and put in their best to make a change. They shouldn’t allow themselves to be pulled down.

What advice would you give to  Nigerian women interested in politics?
I will advise them  to go for it and put in their  best. Women are the wealth of the economy. I will  also add that the thought of  making fast money should be far from them. I believe people move on  in the UK because they do a lot of voluntary works for the  society which  do not involve money.

Survival  in the UK is believed to be difficult. How did you  combine your responsibilities as a mother and  duties  as a midwife?
I  joined my husband in England  at a young age in 1971. I  trained as a nurse since this had always been my dad’s desire and became  qualified after three years.  I also had another  18 months training as a  midwife. By 1977, I  had already  acquired  two certificates while I also had  two children. I was able to stay on my job as a full time worker with  my husband’s  support. By 1984, my children were four while I had also risen in my profession to the post of a team leader.  Unfortunately in  1985, October precisely, I lost my husband and  things  took a downturn. The  future became  bleak. I was left with four kids to cater for. The eldest was 13 years and the others were five and nine years old respectively. The youngest was 18 months old. Fortunately for me, I had  around me friends who were supportive. I saw my husband’s death and the responsibility of raising my children as a cross  I had to  bear.  I  therefore rose to the challenge. Most of my managers were likewise supportive. They all did their best to encourage me by giving me work schedules that were  flexible. With  this, I was able to give my children the necessary  attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Potrix Naija Blog