Thursday 15 March 2012

Interview: MR IBU " Nigerians who produce in Ghana always offend them by owing Hotel bills


                                             
Mr. Ibu is a known but mysterious celebrity character in the Nollywood world. He always takes the role of a dumb or dull foolish but arrogant character who usually succeeds in the end through one means or the other, and yet plays it out so well like it's natural. Here his  interview with Opata Efungwu and Hyzee, Potrix Magazine attempts to find out about his life.

CONTINUE TO READ THE INTERVIEW:


Potrix Magazine: who is Mr. Ibu?
Mr.  Ibu: Mr.  Ibu is a character in a movie that is stupid and foolish, but uses his stupidity to pave way for himself. Ibu without Mr. is a very tactical meaning because Ibu has been my name from childhood. I enjoy the name Mr. Ibu because it has been the component that I like so much.

Potrix Magazine: Was it a dream to become an actor from childhood or did it happen accidentally?

Mr.  Ibu: I must say it happened accidentally because in 1978 in Benin, when we were watching a movie, my interest to be an actor rose in me. My joy is that ever since then, the acting in me has grown. That was the avenue where I started.

Potrix Magazine: Your first movie? 
Mr.  Ibu: The first commercial work that I did was in 1994. The Name of the Movie Is Rolling Stone
Are You Currently Working On Any Musical  Album?
Mr.  Ibu: I just finished my third album

Potrix Magazine: Title?
Mr.  Ibu: This girl (part three)

Potrix Magazine: Which of your films would you say brought out the best in you so far?
Mr.  Ibu: Emm… I will give that to Agony, I acted as an imbecile

Potrix Magazine: Tell us about your religious life?
Mr.  Ibu: Funny enough people think am not a Christian, but as I speak now I have no other weapon apart from God. I have been having so many temptations. I remember vividly what happened to me in Abuja, I went into a business center in Abuja I was at the reception, where there was crowd suddenly a bird flew from nowhere, passed the door, other people and directly to my face and one could wonder simultaneously, how I caught it, to its perching on my face directly to my eyes. But before it could hurt me, I killed the bird with the clap of my hand. At that particular moment one part of my body became hot. After that incident, that was when I knew that Jesus is alive. He saved me.  

Potrix Magazine: Are you married?
Mr.  Ibu: Of course yes. I have four boys and a girl. My first son is about 21years old and the second is 16years or so. We all love each other. 

Potrix Magazine: Briefly tell us how you got the opportunity to act a film in London?
Mr.  Ibu: Well in 2002, I received a later to contest with other comedy actors in Africa for the 
“BEST COMEDY ACTOR IN AFRICA 2002” organized by the whites, I won the award; I used that opportunity to act a film in London. I wrote to the producers of Mr. Ibu. And told them that it will be good to produce a movie Mr. Ibu in London, and after they employed the crew, we began to work.

Potrix Magazine: Which part of this country do you come from?
Mr.  Ibu: Am from Nkanu-West in Enugu west. We are eight in the family though we lost so many, we are only five left.

Potrix Magazine: There have been a lot of rumors lately that is conflict in Nollywood because of Ghana actors and Actresses, what exactly is the problem and your opinion about it?

Mr.  Ibu: I don't support the controversy between Ghanaians and Nollywood, Ghanaians love us. Nigerians who produce in Ghana always offend them by owing Hotels bills, welfare bills and many other attitudes which are bad. There is one thing with the Ghanaians, they are always straight forward, and due to that they placed a fine of $2000 (dollars) to be paid by a Nigerian producer coming to Ghana to produce a movie. So that at the end of the day if he is not found wanting in any of these offences he will be giving back the money, but on the contrary if he offends the money will be used to settle the depts. he owes. If this is the reason why they have to stop acting with us, it's not good, the Ghanaians love us.

Potrix Magazine: What message do you have for your fans?
Mr.  Ibu: My fans, I love you all, do the right thing at the right time, don't stop learning, expand your brain by asking questions, do not steal, because it's a sin, do not go into piracy, because its stealing, be yourself. And by so doing I will continue to love you more and more, I promise not to disappoint you, I will keep making you happy

Potrix Magazine: Nigerian films has been generally been criticized for poor production, what do you think is the cause of this?
Mr.  Ibu: We have been encountering so many problems with the in-house I know we can handle them when the attitude comes in; the Nollywood today has not tasted real leadership. Fight quarrels. Please they should allow actors to choose the right leaders.

Potrix Magazine: What do you have to say about Potrix Magazine?
Mr.  Ibu: Looking at young talented people like you, I think you will go a long way in life. More grease to your elbows. Don't stop working and be very careful when working with public because challenges do come and go. Kudos!

Potrix Magazine: What message do you have for upcoming actors? 
Mr.  Ibu: Please I urge you to be patience, believe in yourself, don't allow money to be your priority, be more concerned about your face, it's more important than the money, put money aside just work hard, don't stop working, even if you have to do the work free keep on doing it, then when your face become popular the money will come by itself. Go ahead and believe in yourself 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Potrix Naija Blog