Wednesday 7 December 2011

Fire razes 10 houses in A/Ibom


UYO – No fewer than 10 houses were on Monday night razed at Iwuokpon, a coastal settlement near Qua Iboe River in Ibeno, Akwa Ibom.
The News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, reports that many people were rendered homeless, while property, including, 15 outboard engines, fishing gear, cash and other valuables were burnt beyond recognition.
NAN learnt that the fire lasted several hours before it was prevented from spreading to other houses in the fishing settlement, near Mobil Producing Terminal.

When NAN visited the scene on yesterday, members of the Iwokpon Community were seen around the fire scene consoling the victims.
Mr. Oye Mebawondun, a victim of the fire incident, told NAN that he lost two outboard engines valued at N960,000 each.
He said: “The loss is too much for me to bear, I suffered a similar fate a few years back and indications suggest that the fire was deliberately set to destroy these property.
“We demand justice and task the police and security agencies to fish out the culprits to face the law.”
Another victim, Mr. Felix Ogungbamila, said:“I have lost everything I laboured for and my wife and four children have nowhere to go to.
“The clothes I am presently wearing was given to me by a sympathiser. Where do I go from here,”he said amidst tears.
The Transition Committee Chairman of Ibeno Local Government Council,Chief Lucky Akarasi, condoled with the victims and urged them to remain calm and peaceful.
While assuring the victims of government assistance, he promised that the perpetrators would be fished out and prosecuted.
“I came here to commiserate and share your grief, I will ensure that this is reported to the state government and I assure you that whatever decision on this matter would be promptly communicated to you. Continue to cohabit in peace with your host communities as we shall work with security agencies to guarantee the safety of lives and property in Ibeno,”he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Potrix Naija Blog